Professor Peter Taylor
Norman Collison Chair of Musculoskeletal Sciences
Professor of Clinical Research
Director of Clinical Trials Unit
Peter Taylor, MA, BM, BCh, PhD FRCP, is Norman Collisson Chair of Musculoskeletal Science at the University of Oxford, based within the Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences and leading clinical trials research.
He studied pre-clinical medical sciences at Gonville and Caius College at the University of Cambridge and his first degree was in Physiology. He subsequently studied clinical medicine at the University of Oxford and was awarded a PhD degree from the University of London for studies on pathogenesis of arthritis. Before returning to Oxford, he was Professor of Experimental Rheumatology at the Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology, an honorary consultant rheumatologist working in Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust and lead clinician for rheumatology. He was also head of the clinical trials group at the Kennedy Institute Division, and Dean of the Charing Cross campus.
Professor Taylor’s specialist clinical interests are in rheumatoid arthritis and early inflammatory arthritis. His research interests are in the use of novel imaging for evaluation of prognosis, the assessment of responses to therapy and as an early indicator of inflammation suppression as well as disease modification particularly as applied to early phase clinical trial design. He has recently pioneered studies using such measures as primary outcome measures in early phase Ib/IIa studies with a view to informing later phase stduy design. He has been a principal investigator in numerous international clinical trials of biologic therapies including the earliest seminal trails of anti-TNF and anti-IL-6 receptor therapy. He has also led many studies employing anti-cytokine therapy as probes of pathogenesis. He was awarded a “Healthcare Champions Prize” in the Houses of Parliament in May 2008.
View all publications (the list below shows the past five years). Arranged by year. Sorted by date of publication. Sort by title? Where possible, links point to PubMed. Click icon to switch to Europe PubMed Central
- Taylor PC, Genovese MC, Greenwood M, Ho M, Nasonov E, Oemar B, Stoilov R, Vencovsky J, Weinblatt M OSKIRA-4: a phase IIb randomised, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of fostamatinib monotherapy Annals of the rheumatic diseases. 2014 Jul
- Gwyer Findlay E, Danks L, Madden J, Cavanagh MM, McNamee K, McCann F, Snelgrove RJ, Shaw S, Feldmann M, Taylor PC, Horwood NJ, Hussell T OX40L blockade is therapeutic in arthritis, despite promoting osteoclastogenesis Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2014 Feb; 6(111): 2289-2294. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1321071111
- Rastogi A, Taylor PC, Kubassova O, Krasnosselskaia LV, Hajnal JV, Lim AKP, Satchithananda K, Boesen M, Binks M Evaluating automated dynamic contrast enhanced wrist 3 T MRI in healthy volunteers: One-year longitudinal observational study European Journal of Radiology. 2013 Aug; 8(82): 1286-1291. doi: 10.1016/j.ejrad.2013.02.041
- Newbould RD, Brown AP, Miller SR, Rao AW, Upadhyay N, Swann P, Gold GE, Strachan RK, Matthews PM, Taylor PC T1-Weighted Sodium MRI of the Articulator Cartilage in Osteoarthritis: A Cross Sectional and Longitudinal Study PLoS ONE. 2013 Aug; 8(8). doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0073067
- Kapoor SR, Buckley CD, Raza K, Filer A, Fitzpatrick MA, Young SP, Fisher BA, Taylor PC, McInnes IB Metabolic profiling predicts response to anti-tumor necrosis factor α therapy in patients with rheumatoid arthritis Arthritis and Rheumatism. 2013 Jun; 6(65): 1448-1456. doi: 10.1002/art.37921
- Centola M, Turner M, Sutton C, Smith DR, Cavet G, Ramanujan S, Swan KA, Haney DJ, Shen Y, Knowlton N, Chernoff D, Hesterberg LK, Carulli JP, Taylor PC, Shadick NA, Weinblatt ME, Curtis JR Development of a Multi-Biomarker Disease Activity Test for Rheumatoid Arthritis PLoS ONE. 2013 Apr; 4(8). doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0060635
- Iqbal I, Dasgupta B, Taylor P, Heron L, Pilling C Elicitation of health state utilities associated with differing durations of morning stiffness in rheumatoid arthritis Journal of Medical Economics. 2012 Dec; 6(15): 1192-1200. doi: 10.3111/13696998.2012.712927
- Khan NA, Spencer HJ, Abda EA, Alten R, Pohl C, Ancuta C, Cazzato M, Gher PI, Gossec L, Henrohn D, Hetland ML, Inanc N, Jacobs JWG, Kerzberg E, Majdan M, Oyoo O, Peredo-Wende RA, Selim ZI, Skopouli FN, Sulli A, Hrslev-Petersen K, Taylor PC, Sokka T Patient's global assessment of disease activity and patient's assessment of general health for rheumatoid arthritis activity assessment: Are they equivalent? Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2012 Dec; 12(71): 1942-1949. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2011-201142
- Page TH, Charles PJ, Piccinini AM, Nicolaidou V, Taylor PC, Midwood KS Raised circulating tenascin-C in rheumatoid arthritis Arthritis Research and Therapy. 2012 Nov; 6(14). doi: 10.1186/ar4105
- Alzabin S, Palfreeman A, Hull D, McNamee K, Pathan E, Taylor PC, Williams R, Abraham SM, Taher TE, Jawad A, Mageed R, Kinderlerer A Incomplete response of infl ammatory arthritis to blockade is associated with the Th17 pathway Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2012 Oct; 10(71): 1741-1748. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2011-201024
- Choy E, Taylor P, McAuliffe S, Roberts K, Sargeant I Variation in the use of biologics in the management of rheumatoid arthritis across the UK Current Medical Research and Opinion. 2012 Oct; 10(28): 1733-1741. doi: 10.1185/03007995.2012.731388
- Puntmann VO, D'cruz D, Taylor PC, Hussain T, Indermuhle A, Butzbach B, Botnar R, Nagel E Contrast enhancement imaging in coronary arteries in SLE JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging. 2012 Sep; 9(5): 962-964. doi: 10.1016/j.jcmg.2012.03.017
- Pathan E, Charles PJ, Paterson E, Chowdhury M, Abraham S, Van Rossen E, Withrington R, Keat A, McClinton C, Taylor PC Efficacy and safety of apremilast, an oral phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor, in ankylosing spondylitis Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2012 Sep. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2012-201915
- Seymour MW, Kelly S, Beals CR, Malice MP, Bolognese JA, Dardzinski BJ, Cheng AS, Cummings CE, Smugar SS, McClinton C, Fox A, Dooley WM, Pitzalis C, Taylor PC Ultrasound Of Metacarpophalangeal Joints Is A Sensitive And Reliable Endpoint For Drug Therapies In Rheumatoid Arthritis: Results Of A Randomized, Two-Center Placebo-Controlled Study Arthritis Res Ther. 2012 Sep; 5(14): R198. doi: 10.1186/ar4034
- Newbould RD, Miller SR, Toms LD, Swann P, Tielbeek JA, Gold GE, Strachan RK, Taylor PC, Matthews PM, Brown AP T2* Measurement Of The Knee Articular Cartilage In Osteoarthritis At 3T J Magn Reson Imaging. 2012 Jun; 6(35): 1422-1429. doi: 10.1002/jmri.23598
- Abraham SM, Taher TE, Palfreeman A, Hull D, McNamee K, Jawad A, Pathan E, Kinderlerer A, Taylor PC, Williams R, Mageed R Incomplete response of inflammatory arthritis to TNFα blockade is associated with the Th17 pathway. Ann Rheum Dis. 01 May 2012
- Guyot P, Taylor PC, Christensen R, Pericleous L, Drost P, Eijgelshoven I, Bergman G, Lebmeier M Indirect Treatment Comparison Of Abatacept With Methotrexate Versus Other Biologic Agents For Active Rheumatoid Arthritis Despite Methotrexate Therapy In The United Kingdom J Rheumatol. 2012 Apr. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.111345
- Dignan FL, Scarisbrick JJ, Cornish J, Clark A, Amrolia P, Jackson G, Mahendra P, Taylor PC, Shah P, Lightman S, Fortune F, Kibbler C, Andreyev J, Albanese A, Hadzic N, Potter MN, Shaw BE Organ-Specific Management And Supportive Care In Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease Br J Haematol. 2012 Apr. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2012.09131.x
- Seymour M, Pétavy F, Chiesa F, Perry H, Lukey PT, Binks M, Donatien PD, Freidin AJ, Eckersley RJ, McClinton C, Heath K, Prodanovic S, Radunovic G, Pilipovic N, Damjanov N, Taylor PC Ultrasonographic Measures Of Synovitis In An Early Phase Clinical Trial: A Double-Blind, Randomised, Placebo And Comparator Controlled Phase Iia Trial Of Gw274150 (A Selective Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase Inhibitor) In Rheumatoid Arthritis Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2012 Mar; 2(30): 254-261
- Whittle R, Taylor PC Circulating B-Cell Activating Factor Level Predicts Clinical Response Of Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease To Extracorporeal Photopheresis Blood. 2011 Dec; 24(118): 6446-6449. doi: 10.1182/blood-2011-05-354019
- Taylor PC, Ritchlin C, Mendelsohn A, Baker D, Kim L, Xu Z, Mack M, Kremer J Maintenance of efficacy and safety with subcutaneous golimumab among patients with active rheumatoid arthritis who previously received intravenous golimumab. J Rheumatol. 2011 Dec;38(12):2572-80. Epub 2011 Nov 15.
- Taylor PC, Quattrocchi E, Mallett S, Kurrasch R, Petersen J, Chang DJ Ofatumumab, a fully human anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody, in biological-naive, rheumatoid arthritis patients with an inadequate response to methotrexate: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2011 Dec;70(12):2119-25. Epub 2011 Aug 22.
- Mariette X, Matucci-Cerinic M, Pavelka K, Taylor P, van Vollenhoven R, Heatley R, Walsh C, Lawson R, Reynolds A, Emery P Malignancies Associated With Tumour Necrosis Factor Inhibitors In Registries And Prospective Observational Studies: A Systematic Review And Meta-Analysis Ann Rheum Dis. 2011 Nov; 11(70): 1895-1904. doi: 10.1136/ard.2010.149419
- Lebmeier M, Pericleous L, Taylor PC, Christensen R, Drost P, Bergman G, Eijgelshoven I, Guyot P MIXED TREATMENT COMPARISON OF BIOLOGIC AGENTS IN PATIENTS WITH RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS WHO HAVE RESPONDED INADEQUATELY TO METHOTREXATE THERAPY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM VALUE IN HEALTH. 2011 Nov; 7(14): A317
- Lallemand C, Kavrochorianou N, Blanchard B, Tovey MG, Steenholdt C, Ainsworth MA, Bendtzen K, Meritet J-F, Lebon P, Taylor P, Charles P, Alzabin S Reporter gene assay for the quantification of the activity and neutralizing antibody response to TNFα antagonists Journal of Immunological Methods. 2011 Oct; 1-2(373): 229-239. doi: 10.1016/j.jim.2011.08.022
- Newbould RD, Miller SR, Tielbeek JA, Toms LD, Rao AW, Gold GE, Strachan RK, Taylor PC, Matthews PM, Brown AP Reproducibility of sodium MRI measures of articular cartilage of the knee in osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011 Oct 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Taylor PC Developing anti-TNF and biologic agents Rheumatology (Oxford, England). 2011 Aug; 8(50): 1351-1353
- Mangat P, Taylor P, Abraham S Respiratory symptoms in a patient on anti-tumour necrosis factor therapy; beware the negative enzyme linked immuno-spot (ELISpot) in suspected mycobacterial disease. QJM. 2011 Jan;104(1):61-3. Epub 2010 May 26.
- Guyot P, Taylor P, Christensen R, Pericleous L, Poncet C, Lebmeier M, Drost P, Bergman G Abatacept With Methotrexate Versus Other Biologic Agents In Treatment Of Patients With Active Rheumatoid Arthritis Despite Methotrexate: A Network Meta-Analysis Arthritis Res Ther. 2011; 6(13): R204. doi: 10.1186/ar3537
- Boesen M, Kubassova O, Cimmino MA, Ostergaard M, Taylor P, Danneskiold-Samsoe B, Bliddal H Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MRI Can Monitor the Very Early Inflammatory Treatment Response upon Intra-Articular Steroid Injection in the Knee Joint: A Case Report with Review of the Literature Arthritis. 2011: 578252. doi: 10.1155/2011/578252
- Taylor P, Gartemann J, Hsieh J, Creeden J A systematic review of serum biomarkers anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide and rheumatoid factor as tests for rheumatoid arthritis Autoimmune Diseases. 2011; 1(1). doi: 10.4061/2011/815038
- Puntmann VO, Taylor PC, Barr A, Chiribiri A, Nagel E UNRAVELLING THE PHENOTYPE OF CARDIOVASCULAR INFLAMMATION IN PATIENTS WITH RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS WITH MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING: THERAPEUTIC BENEFITS OF TNF INHIBITION CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL RHEUMATOLOGY. 2011; 1(29): 194
- Larché MJ, Seymour M, Lim A, Eckersley RJ, Pétavy F, Chiesa F, Rioja I, Lukey PT, Binks M, McClinton C, Dolan K, Taylor PC Quantitative power Doppler ultrasonography is a sensitive measure of metacarpophalangeal joint synovial vascularity in rheumatoid arthritis and declines significantly following a 2-week course of oral low-dose corticosteroids. J Rheumatol. 2010 Dec;37(12):2493-501.
- Purcaru O, Taylor PC, Emery P, Palmer S COST-EFFECTIVENESS OF CERTOLIZUMAB PEGOL PLUS METHOTREXATE OR AS MONOTHERAPY FOR THE TREATMENT OF ACTIVE RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM VALUE IN HEALTH. 2010 Nov; 7(13): A310
- Lebmeier M, Pericleous L, Guyot P, Baig H, Christensen R, Bergman G, Taylor PC, Drost P INDIRECT TREATMENT COMPARISON TO COMPARE EFFICACY IN HEALTH ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE (HAQ) SCORE FOR BIOLOGIC AGENTS WITH METHOTREXATE IN PATIENTS WITH RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS AND ACTIVE DISEASE DESPITE METHOTREXATE THERAPY VALUE IN HEALTH. 2010 Nov; 7(13): A316
- Hazes JM, Taylor P, Strand V, Purcaru O, Coteur G, Mease P Physical function improvements and relief from fatigue and pain are associated with increased productivity at work and at home in rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with certolizumab pegol. RHEUMATOLOGY. 2010 Oct;49(10):1900-10.
- Taylor P, Manger B, Alvaro-Gracia J, Johnstone R, Gomez-Reino J, Eberhardt E, Wolfe F, Schwartzman S, Furfaro N, Kavanaugh A Patient perceptions concerning pain management in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. J INT MED RES. 2010 Jul-Aug 38(4):1213-24.
- Puntmann VO, Taylor PC, Mayr M Coupling vascular and myocardial inflammatory injury into a common phenotype of cardiovascular dysfunction: systemic inflammation and aging - a mini-review. GERONTOLOGY. Epub 2010 Jun 11.
- Taylor PC Pharmacology of TNF blockade in rheumatoid arthritis and other chronic inflammatory diseases. CURR OPIN PHARMACOL. 2010 Jun;10(3):308-15.
- Taylor PC The importance of the patients' experience of RA compared with clinical measures of disease activity. CLIN EXP RHEUMATOL. 2010 May-Jun;28(3 Suppl. 59):S28-S31.
- Taylor PC, Mehta P, Tull T Aetiopathology of rheumatoid arthritis Medicine. 2010 Apr; 4(38): 163-166. doi: 10.1016/j.mpmed.2009.12.005
- Kremer J, Ritchlin C, Mendelsohn A, Baker D, Kim L, Xu Z, Han J, Taylor P Golimumab, a new human anti-tumor necrosis factor ? antibody, administered intravenously in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: Forty-eight-week efficacy and safety results of a phase III randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. ARTHRITIS RHEUM-US. 2010 Apr;62(4):917-28.
- Puntmann VO, Taylor PC, Barr A, Schnackenburg B, Jahnke C, Paetsch I Towards understanding the phenotypes of myocardial involvement in the presence of self-limiting and sustained systemic inflammation: a magnetic resonance imaging study. RHEUMATOLOGY. 2010 Mar;49(3):528-35.
- Emery P, Treat TTUKSG, Buch MH, Ostör A, Kirkham B, Taylor P, Estrach C, Jenkinson T, McInnes I, Porter D Symmetrical polyarthritis. Time for treatment targets in rheumatoid arthritis BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 2010. doi: 10.1136/bmj.c4170