How to get involved
The Oxford Patient Engagement Network for Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Conditions
WHAT IS OPEN ARMS?
OPEN ARMS, the Oxford Patient Engagement Network for Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Conditions, is a group of patients, family members, carers and members of the public (referred to as patient partners) who work with medical researchers from the University of Oxford to help them develop, carry out and communicate their research.
The aim of the group is to ensure patient partners are given an opportunity to influence future treatments and care at both local and national levels.
We hope to have around 7 patient partners working with similar numbers of medical researchers on the main committee.
We are also keen to collect contact details from a larger group of interested patient partners who want to hear about “ask the researcher” events.
If you are interested in hearing about future events or joining the OPEN ARMS committee, please register your interest.
WHY GET INVOLVED?
To make a difference - help develop treatments that improve the lives of patients with bone and joint problems in the UK.
To make sure that research benefits patients and the public. Researchers need to hear about your experience of living with a condition and having treatment for it.
WHO SHOULD GET INVOLVED?
Adults with arthritis, or bone and joint problems, or vasculitis. Family members, carers and members of the public are also welcome.
No specialist knowledge needed, just enthusiasm to share your experiences and life skills.
WHAT WILL IT INVOLVE?
- Working as a team – patient partners and researchers will meet together up to 4 times a year.
- Meetings are currently via the internet or phone but may also be at the Botnar Research Centre.
- Share your experiences.
- Tell us what you think of research ideas and new treatments for patients.
- Help identify and prioritise research questions so they focus on what matters to patients.
- Help engage patients and the public in research. Make sure the information we share with them is easy to understand.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
If you would like to get involved or find out more then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.