Members of the Oxford University Global Surgery Group have supported the following training activities and resources.
OUGSG Education projects & resources
- Africa Clubfoot Training - Professor Chris Lavy
- Anaesthesia in Developing Countries course - Dr Hilary Edgcombe
- FIGO PPIUD Project - Dr Anita Makins
- Global Musculoskeletal on The Global Health Network
- Oxford Global Surgery course – 10-14 September 2018
- Zimbabwe Orthopaedic training
OUGSG faculty Prof Kokila Lakhoo is involved as course organizer / faculty on the following paediatric surgery courses:
Hugh Greenwood Neonatal Skills course - run by the British Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- Hugh Greenwood BAPS skills course for Neonatal Surgery - run every two years, attached to the Pan African Association of Pediatric Surgeons
- Hugh Greenwood Paediatric Surgical Skills Masterclass for General Surgeons - this is run as a COSECSA FCS exam preparation course annually, led by Professor Eric Borgstein. The 2017 course was held at Mercy James Institute for Pediatric Surgery and Intensive Care (children's hospital in Blantyre set up by Madonna / Raising Malawi). Oxford faculty sponsor two COSECSA surgical trainees annually for this course. 2018 dates to be announced.
Global Surgery - Oxford Special Study Module (SSM)
Thursday Teaching programme 26/3/18 - 20/4/18
NDS Seminar Room, Level 6, John Radcliffe Hospital
Week 1: 29/3/18
1. Working in a LMIC Burns Centre: A long term partnership: Roba Khundkar
2. Lancet Global Surgery 2030: Key Messages: Grace Brown
3. Lancet Commission: indicators of surgical need and activity: Zara Markovic-Obiago
Discussions will be led by Noel Peter, Roba Khundkar and Dan Coventry.
Week 2: 05/4/18:
1) Global surgical careers: Jim Turner
2) Training and technology in LMICs: Zara Markovic-Obiago
3) Examples of successful surgical innovations in LMIC settings: Grace Brown
Discussions will be led by Jim Turner and Shobi Nagraj.
Week 3: 12/4/18:
1) Taster Session by Professor Kokila Lakhoo
2) Guidelines for establishing projects in Global Surgery: Grace Brown
3) Partnerships - who benefits?: Zara Markovic-Obiago
Provisional review of posters/presentations for the following week.
Discussions will be led by Kokila Lakhoo and Shobi Nagraj.
Q&A re: posters/presentations for following week.
Week 4: 19/4/18:
0830: Guest Speaker
0930: Presentations and poster run-throughs 10 mins each with feedback from group
Discussions will be led by Noel Peter and Roba Khundkar
Oxford University Global Surgery Group