Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

INTRODUCTION: Hip fractures are common in people over 60 years of age, and are associated with significant disability, morbidity and mortality. The aim of this study was to record the incidence of complications in the first 120 days following hip fracture. METHODS: The World Hip Trauma Evaluation (WHiTE) study is a multicentre, prospective cohort study conducted in National Health Service (NHS) hospitals in England and Wales. Participants are 60 years and older who received operative treatment for a hip fracture. We report the incidence of complications recorded by hospital staff until discharge from hospital and by participants at 120-days post-surgery. RESULTS: An analysis of 8673 consecutive participants enrolled in the WHiTE study revealed the following risks of complications within the first 120 days: signs of wound infection (3.1%); dislocation (0.5%); failure of fixation (0.6%); peri‑prosthetic fracture (0.3%); overall revision surgery (0.9%); blood loss requiring transfusion (6.1%); chest infection (6.3%); urinary tract infection (5.0%); deep vein thrombosis/pulmonary embolus (1.8%); cerebrovascular accident (0.6%); acute coronary syndrome/myocardial infarction (0.6%); acute kidney injury (1.3%). CONCLUSION: The rates of complications reported here provide a reference range against which future studies might be assessed. Registration: ISRCTN63982700.

Original publication




Journal article



Publication Date





1331 - 1336


Complications, Hip fracture, WHiTE cohort, Aged, Aged, 80 and over, Female, Hip Dislocation, Hip Fractures, Humans, Male, Middle Aged, Postoperative Complications, Postoperative Period, Prospective Studies, Prosthesis Failure, Reoperation, State Medicine, Time Factors, United Kingdom, Wound Infection