Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

PURPOSE: Cementless unicompartmental knee replacement (UKR) was introduced to address some of the problems that can occur following cemented UKR. The aim of this study was to report the 5-year experience of the first 512 medial cementless Oxford UKR implanted by two surgeons for the recommended indications. METHODS: The first consecutive 512 cementless Phase 3 Oxford UKRs implanted by two surgeons for the recommended indications between June 2004 and October 2013 were prospectively identified and followed up independently. All the procedures were carried out through a minimally invasive approach without eversion or dislocation of the patella. Patients were assessed clinically pre-operatively and at 1, 2, 5, 7 and 10 years after surgery with functional outcome scores and radiographs. RESULTS: There were eight reoperations of which six were revisions giving a 5-year survival of 98 % (95 % CI 94-100 %). At a mean follow-up of 3.4 years (1.0-10.2), the mean OKS was 43 (SD 7), AKSS (objective) was 81 (SD 13), and AKSS (functional) was 86 (SD 17). The first 120 cases had a minimum follow-up of 5 years (mean 5.9; range 5-10.2). In these patients, the mean OKS was 41 (SD 8), AKSS (objective) was 81 (SD 14), and AKSS (functional) was 82 (SD 18). There were no femoral radiolucencies and no complete tibial radiolucencies. 11 % of tibial components had partial radiolucent lines; the remaining 89 % had no radiolucencies. CONCLUSION: The clinical results are as good as or better than those previously reported for cemented fixation. The radiographic results are better with secure bony attachment to the implants in every case. LEVEL OF EVIDENCE: IV.

Original publication




Journal article


Knee surg sports traumatol arthrosc

Publication Date





694 - 702


Cementless fixation, Functional outcome, Implant survival, Unicompartmental knee replacement, Adult, Aged, Aged, 80 and over, Arthroplasty, Replacement, Knee, Bone Cements, Cohort Studies, Female, Femur, Humans, Knee Prosthesis, Male, Middle Aged, Osteoarthritis, Knee, Patella, Postoperative Complications, Prospective Studies, Prosthesis Design, Radiography, Reoperation, Tibia, Treatment Outcome