EQUATOR Publication School
Fit for purpose: The secrets of success in writing, publishing, and disseminating research articles
For the third year, the UK EQUATOR Centre, part of the internationally recognised EQUATOR Network is holding its unique flagship summer writing school. Our simple aim is to improve the quality and completeness of research publications so they are useful, usable and accessible to all.
This week-long course has attracted participants from all over the world, and we are delighted to be holding it again at St Catherine's College in the centre of Oxford. The course is designed for health researchers, research leaders, and medical writers wishing to build the skills and confidence to achieve greater success in writing, publishing and disseminating health research through traditional journals, and other channels.
This lively course will be lead by an experienced, enthusiastic and knowledgeable team, featuring lectures and many practical sessions including:
- How to write the key sections of your research article, including the methods, analysis and results, introduction, discussion, title and abstract
- How to make the appropriate and optimal use of Reporting Guidelines including CONSORT, STROBE and PRISMA
- How to target the right journal for your research, and navigate different editorial systems
- How to deal with peer review comments, and how to peer review the work of others constructively
- How to write for and communicate with a lay audience, and make the most of media opportunities
The course will also discuss the importance of writing and publishing protocols, and the use of reporting guidelines such as SPIRIT and PRISMA-P.
- Dr Elizabeth Wager, Publications Consultant, Sideview
- Prof Doug Altman, Director, Centre for Statistics in Medicine; Director, UK EQUATOR Centre
- Dr Iveta Simera, Deputy Director, UK EQUATOR Centre
The programme will also include contributions from invited guest speakers including Journal Editors and Science Communicators.
Early-bird rates are available until 31 March.
£1,200 (includes refreshments, lunch and conference dinner Thursday evening)
£1,500 (in addition to the above includes five nights (Sun-Thurs) ensuite accommodation with breakfast (Mon-Fri) and evening meals (Mon-Wed).
There has been strong interest in the course and places are strictly limited to foster small group learning. Please register as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
For more information and details of how to register, see the Publication School page on the EQUATOR website.