Centre for Statistics in Medicine
improving lives and healthcare through statistics
CSM is a team of 70 medical statisticians, epidemiologists, methodologists, and systematic review specialists, headed by Prof Gary Collins. We conduct and support excellent medical research through
- Applied statistical research to improve how medical research is done
- Providing statistical expertise for primary medical and healthcare research, such as clinical trials
- Observational and routine health data research to advance healthcare practice and policy
- Developing reporting guidelines and monitoring their uptake
- Education and training on research methods, medical statistics, and academic writing
Embedded within the Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences (NDORMS) in the Medical Sciences Division of the University of Oxford, we also encompass a UKCRC fully registered clinical trials unit, the Oxford Clinical Trials Research Unit (OCTRU). Positioned close to several Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust hospitals, our team is in an excellent position to support and collaborate on a wide range of clinical research.
As part of our commitment to reducing waste in medical research through improved reporting, we host the UK EQUATOR Centre, which is the heart of the EQUATOR Network.
CSM members are active in collaborations such as
European Health Data and Evidence Network
- Oxford Biomedical Research Centre - Musculoskeletal theme (BRC)
NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC) Oxford
- NIHR’s Research Design Service - South Central branch (RDS)