Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

Proximal femoral fractures (PFFs) are a major health concern in the elderly population. Improvements made in implants and surgical techniques resulted in faster rehabilitation and shorter length of hospital stay. Despite this, the reduced physiological reserve, associated co-morbidities and polypharmacy intake of the elderly population put them at high risk of postoperative complications particularly of infectious origin. Out of 10061 patients with proximal femoral fractures 105 (1.05%) developed surgical site infection; 76 (72%) infections occurred in patients who had sustained intracapsular (IC) fractures with the remaining 29 (28%) infections occurring in patients with extracapsular (EC) neck of femur fractures. The median number of additional surgical debridements was 2 (range 1-7). MRSA was isolated in 49 (47%) of the cases; 38 patients (36%) ultimately underwent a Girdlestone's excisional arthroplasty. Mortality at 30 days and 3 months was 10% and 31%, respectively. It was noted that post-operative hip infection predisposed to a prolonged length of stay in the acute unit and subsequently to a more dependent destination after discharge.

Original publication




Journal article



Publication Date



42 Suppl 5


S28 - S34


Aged, Aged, 80 and over, Anti-Bacterial Agents, Female, Femoral Fractures, Femoral Neck Fractures, Health Care Costs, Hip Fractures, Humans, Length of Stay, Male, Postoperative Complications, Reoperation, Surgical Wound Infection